internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Mandatory military service / government registration for ALL young Americans...

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Sil Greene <Sil_greene AT unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Mandatory military service / government registration for ALL young Americans...
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 01:53:03 -0500 (EST)

Reported 04.02.24 23:21 from Phillip Rhodes:
.:How long before incidents like the one with Dudley Hiibel are
.:commonplace, except what the police are checking is that you have your
.:"national id card" on you, and that when the swipe it through
.:the card reader, the computer indicates that you did your
.:mandatory conscription period...

Wasn't it Heinlein in Starship Troopers that made citizenship a reward for
armed-forces volunteers? He shown a fairly positive light on the issue of
conscription (for a war story). Heck, if they'd cut some programs
(say, SS, or voting) for everyone but service volunteers, and made basic
ones (say, medicare) free for all, I'd probably accept the trade-off and
not volunteer. Or not, and be either in better shape or a lot
shorter-lived. Sounds like a win-win to me.

Now, this mandatory shit better come with some damn good perks, that's all
I gots to say.

--S

--
"If you put your supper dish to your ears you can hear the sounds
of a restaurant." --Snoopy (Charles Schultz 02-12-2000 RIP)