internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Mandatory military service / governmentregistration for ALL young Americans...

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Phillip Rhodes <mindcrime AT cpphacker.co.uk>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Mandatory military service / governmentregistration for ALL young Americans...
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 01:28:03 -0500

Alan MacHett wrote:

/SNIP/
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d108:h.r.00163:
and
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d108:SN00089:

Read it and weep... nice how this would require women
to register for selective service as well, huh? One more
/MORE SNIP/

Alright, I'll step to the fires...

Fire, where? :-)

Why shouldn't women register with the Selective Service?

Because there shouldn't *be* a selective service? Ok, maybe
that's going to far... having that registration available
just in case we ever do need a draft may or may not justify
it's existence. I'd have to think about it a little longer
to form a firmer opinion.

More to the
point, why shouldn't women be allowed to serve in combat roles? Just as
with homosexuals, if somebody wants to serve their country in that aspect,
then why the hell not?

I agree, 100%

I think every capable citizen should be required to serve the
public in some capacity -- and my definitions here are quite broad: it
could be traditional military service, or the Peace Corps, or volunteering
at a local soup kitchen, being a Big Brother or Big Sister, or just about
anything for the common good.

I think every capable citizen *should* serve the public in some
capacity. I'd be opposed to making it required though.

Some might argue that paying one's taxes
and *maybe* having to serve on a jury is enough, and I certainly can
understand the rationale; but I just don't believe that's sufficient.

I can understand that sentiment, even if I don't agree completely.
I've spent most of my adult life doing my part to help the
public by volunteering with a volunteer fire department. And there
were definitely times when I wished more people had that spirit of
volunteerism. I just can't see requiring any sort of public service.

As such, I definitely do not support this bill. It's far too
militaristic, too indoctrinary, what with everyone having to register with
the SS (pun intended) or work for Big Brother.

Yeah, that's my biggest (but not sole) gripe as well.

TTYL,

Phil

--
When the 1st Amendment no longer protects your voice.
And when the 4th Amendment no longer protects your privacy or your stuff.

FREE AMERICA
Vote Libertarian
www.lp.org