internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Mandatory military service / government registration for ALL young Americans...

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Mandatory military service / government registration for ALL young Americans...
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 00:58:09 -0500

on Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 11:21:19PM -0500, Phillip Rhodes wrote:
> Somehow I missed hearing about this when it first came up,
> but now that I've discovered it, all I can say is that I'm
> absolutely floored. Mandatory military / government
> service for everybody, male and female... no joke, this is
> a bill that's floating around in Congress right now.
>
> http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d108:h.r.00163:

Yeah, Rangel started talking about this back when Bush was making noise
about going into Iraq. It's been a year since it was introduced. The
idea was that maybe it would shock the Republicans into thinking more
about the consequences of their policies if their children were at risk.
Or something like that, anyway.

Given that it's been over a year since any major action was taken on it,
it seems unlikely to go anywhere now.

Book publishing is second only to furniture delivery in slowness. -b. schneier