internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Mandatory military service / governmentregistration for ALL young Americans...

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Alan MacHett" <machett AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Mandatory military service / governmentregistration for ALL young Americans...
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 01:15:25 -0500 (EST)

> /SNIP/
> http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d108:h.r.00163:
> and
> http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d108:SN00089:
>
> Read it and weep... nice how this would require women
> to register for selective service as well, huh? One more
> /MORE SNIP/

Alright, I'll step to the fires...

Why shouldn't women register with the Selective Service? More to the
point, why shouldn't women be allowed to serve in combat roles? Just as
with homosexuals, if somebody wants to serve their country in that aspect,
then why the hell not?

Secondly, I have long supported such a notion, albeit minus the stupid "in
furtherance of the national defense and homeland security, and for other
purposes." I think every capable citizen should be required to serve the
public in some capacity -- and my definitions here are quite broad: it
could be traditional military service, or the Peace Corps, or volunteering
at a local soup kitchen, being a Big Brother or Big Sister, or just about
anything for the common good. Some might argue that paying one's taxes
and *maybe* having to serve on a jury is enough, and I certainly can
understand the rationale; but I just don't believe that's sufficient.

As such, I definitely do not support this bill. It's far too
militaristic, too indoctrinary, what with everyone having to register with
the SS (pun intended) or work for Big Brother. This is so "Starship
Troopers".

-Alan