internetworkers - [internetworkers] religion in America: was [Marriage and religion]

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Alan MacHett" <machett AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] religion in America: was [Marriage and religion]
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 15:21:51 -0500 (EST)

> It appalls me to think our great nation has sunk to even PROPOSING this
> kind of prejudice & pandering; no Western democracy has codified such
> blatant discrimination into their Constitution or foundation of law,
> only places like Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, or some little
> hypersuperstitious backwater in Africa.

I know what you meant, but that's awfully prejudicial towards Africa,
given that it can easily be argued that the continent is the way it is
because of centuries or millenia of colonial conquest and rule.

But anyway, some of the most ass-backwards and foaming at the mouth
superstitious people I've met are right here in the good ol' US of A.

An article on p.40 of the December 2003 Scientific American, titled
"Measuring Modernity: The U.S. Is Not Number One" explains that one of the
reasons the US is a bit behind is due to the heavy influence of religion.
"Protestant Europe", such as Sweden, Norway, and the Netherlands ranks
number one. Jordan is listed as the least modern.

The criteria are plotted on an x-y chart. "The first of these dimensions
-- the traditional versus secular-rational scale in the chart -- derives
from attitudes toward religion, respect for authority, and patriotism.
The second dimension -- survival versus self-expression -- derives from
questions about physical security, trust in other people, gender roles,
and personal happiness."

I'd post a link, but SciAm is pay-per-read.

-Alan