internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] Civil rights victory - was Linda Tripp gets paid

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Shea Tisdale" <shea AT sheatisdale.com>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] Civil rights victory - was Linda Tripp gets paid
  • Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 10:17:09 -0500

Tom! I'm surprised at you. Bogus privacy claim? Bush Administration?
Just because you are opposed to the Bush administration and to the whole
sexual witch hunt during the Clinton administration is no reason to turn
your back on privacy rights.

In 1998 during the Clinton administration, the Pentagon released
personal information to the New Yorker about Linda Tripp in an attempt
to impeach her credibility. The release included information from her
security clearance application, including information about omissions,
which included an arrest as a minor.

Regardless of her trailer park self and the role she played in the
republican witch hunt, she has a right to privacy just like the rest of
us. The 1974 Privacy Act prohibits the government from releasing
unauthorized personal information about individual Americans to
nonfederal organizations. That includes the government releasing
information about people like you...

I think this is an important victory. Our government, regardless of the
administration in power, cannot be allowed to release private
information in an attempt to discredit those who oppose the
administration or it's policies.