internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Civil rights victory - was Linda Tripp gets paid

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Michael Winslow Czeiszperger <michael AT czeiszperger.org>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Civil rights victory - was Linda Tripp gets paid
  • Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 16:26:13 -0500

On Tuesday, November 4, 2003, at 04:04 PM, Shea Tisdale wrote:

But then again maybe I should question the veracity of this story. I
mean, a "huge network of right-wing lawyers" I can totally buy into.
But a "huge network of right-wing lawyers and press outlets" is a bit of
a stretch... I mean I didn't know there was a right wing press except
for Fox News.

Over the years billionaire Richard Scaife has given over 200 million to fund more than a hundred "conservative" media organizations ranging anywhere from college newspapers the American Spectator. The way these groups work together was exposed by reporter David Brock who worked for the Heritage Foundation and the American Spectator, and then had a change of heart. In his book Blinded by the Right Brock describes how he made up stories such as the Clinton "troopergate" scandal, and then had the stories seeded in the various conservative media outlets. Once the story would become popular enough it would be picked up by the conservative mainstream press such as the Washington Post and Wall Street Journal.

I don't have any problem with news organizations emphasizing a particular point of view, but when they manufacture slanders that's another thing. Typical stories include blaming Clinton for orchestrating a killing spree that claimed nearly 40 lives, and using the CIA to smuggle duffle bags full of coke to satiate his enormous drug habits.

Ending a sentence with a preposition is nothing to be ashamed of.
-- michael at czeiszperger dot org, Chapel Hill, NC