internetworkers - Re: IRC (was RE: [internetworkers] New website ideas)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp AT pobox.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: IRC (was RE: [internetworkers] New website ideas)
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 11:20:24 -0500

On Tue, 2003-10-28 at 10:46, David R.Matusiak wrote:

> Good job, Ian! I have never been patient enough to learn how to use an
> IRC client, so maybe this will start me off in the right direction. I
> think a short list of IRC clients would be a good idea (as Sil
> suggested) and I want to mention one that was recommended to me, but it
> has a bad word in it. Regardless, their web site is down and looks
> like it will be down until after Dubya's second term.
>
> http://www.bitchx.org/
>
> I'm sure there are other ways to obtain this software than their site.
> They really should change that name to something less offensive...

I used to use BitchX, but decided to try irssi and converted to it
instantly. Irssi has all the features of BitchX, but makes things much
more intuitive and easier. Plus it has every other feature you can
think of. :-) If you want a text-mode client, irssi beats anything
else hands-down.

That said, I prefer X-chat for a graphical client. It is much more
full-featured than chatzilla, and it has versions for Windows and
Linux. (I don't know about a native Macintosh version, but I think the
Unix/Linux one is available in Fink for MacOS X.) See
http://www.xchat.org/

--Jeremy, IRC addict

| Jeremy Portzer jeremyp AT pobox.com trilug.org/~jeremy |
| GPG Fingerprint: 712D 77C7 AB2D 2130 989F E135 6F9F F7BC CC1A 7B92 |