internetworkers - Re: IRC (was RE: [internetworkers] New website ideas)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Sil Greene <Sil_greene AT unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: IRC (was RE: [internetworkers] New website ideas)
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 10:25:16 -0500 (EST)

.:Perhaps a mention of some other clients too like Chatzilla (mozilla irc
.:client I previously mentioned) would be good. The irc commands themselves
.:should be the same no matter what client you use, though.

I have to agree with Tanner here, I got the impression that Ian really
really likes Irssi. I think it mostly succeeds at being client-agnostic,
and where it fails, it's easy to understand that a) the author's just
mentioning client X as an example, and b) There's More Than One Way To Do
It.

OTOH, a brief rundown of popular clients is probably all that's necessary.
Name, URL, platform, a short description of features, and what (if
anything) makes it stand out. Nothing too in-depth.

Ian:
In the "Other" section, where you mention the /nick, /away, and /win
commands. Are things like /win and /away standard IRC commands understood
by (most) clients? Your writeup made them sound (to me) as Irssi-specific
commands. As I was reading, I wondered how those commands operate in
other clients, or if they even exist..

And by the way, thanks for taking your time to write it up.
--Sil

--
"If you put your supper dish to your ears you can hear the sounds
of a restaurant." --Snoopy (Charles Schultz 02-12-2000 RIP)