internetworkers - Re: IRC (was RE: [internetworkers] New website ideas)

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Ian Meyer <ianmeyer AT mac.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>, thomas AT tbeckett.com
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: IRC (was RE: [internetworkers] New website ideas)
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 22:32:18 -0500

Alright, here goes....

Getting to the InterNetWorkers IRC Channel, Revision 1

So you want to get connected to the new INW IRC channel? Here's what you need:

An IRC client. There is as much debate about clients as there is about emacs vs. vi. Its all up to whichever you like better. That said, Irssi is the best command-line IRC client. Period. All I know about IRC on Windows is that mIRC is frowned upon by most people on other platforms.

Now, once you have an IRC client, you have to connect to the IRC server. There is a massive number of servers, and our room is located on the Freenode network of servers. Freenode operates several servers, and directs users as they log on to the server with the lowest load. To conenct to the network, once you have Irssi open (or any other command-line client, GUI clients are prone to be different), type "/connect freenode". The "/" tells the IRC client that the following line is a command. You can just enter "freenode" because Irssi has the full address (irc.freenode.net) already set up in it.

Once you get conencted to freenode, you just type in "/join #inw" and you're here. All IRC rooms begin with a # sign.

When you're in the room, you can just type something in, and hit enter, and it sends. If you want to address a certain person, say, "John_Jenkelheimer-Smith", you don't want to type that whole nick, just type a few letters and hit tab. It will complete the nick. Thus you have just used "Tab Complete". Learn to love it, its great.

Other Stuff:
- To change your nickname, type "/nick <new nick>". If its taken, you will get a warning to change it to something else.
- To set youself as away: type "/away <reason>". This will set your status to away. If anyone sends you a message while you are away (eg, sends "Joe: you around?" in the room, it gets saved in your away log. When you return, type "/away" again, and check in the first window to see the away log.
- To change windows in Irssi, you can type "/win n" where n is the window number, or, press Alt-n, where n is the number, or press-and-release Esc, and then hit n.

Alright....thats the basics, I think.

More in SSH, Screen, and Irssi later.

Greatly in need of sleep,
Ian