internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Windows Firewall

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jeremy Portzer <jeremyp AT pobox.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: " "http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Windows Firewall
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 15:39:24 -0000

On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 11:29, Tom Caswell wrote:
> Norton Anti-Virus is fine for the anti-virus stuff. I've used it for
> about a decade without any complaints. Anyone remember Central Point
> Anti Virus?
>
> As for firewalls, Zone Alarm tends to be the best free firewall.
> Symantec also makes a firewall and I think you get a discount if you
> get both together - Symantec Internet Security or something like it is
> the package name.
>
> I can't think of any hardware solutions for a dialup user. Cable/DSL
> users can pick up a handy Linksys router that does a decent job as a
> firewall. Software firewalls come with extra goodies like spam
> filtering so maybe it's for the best. No nasty emails for the rents.

There are now hardware router/firewalls that include a modem for dialup
access. You configure the modem/router to connect directly to the
Internet, and then each computer plugs into the router. They're pretty
cheap, just like the cable/dsl routers, but of course have the drawback
of the extreme slowness of dialup. Most of these include a
"dial-on-demand" feature that will dial the line automatically when a
request for Internet resources comes across.

I haven't used these box myself, but it's something to look into.

--Jeremy

| Jeremy Portzer jeremyp AT pobox.com trilug.org/~jeremy |
| GPG Fingerprint: 712D 77C7 AB2D 2130 989F E135 6F9F F7BC CC1A 7B92 |