internetworkers - [internetworkers] sun type 6 keyboard (usb) on mac?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [internetworkers] sun type 6 keyboard (usb) on mac?
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 17:20:15 -0400

Hey -

A couple of quick questions for people who:

1) /like/ Sun type 5 keyboards
2) have used type 6 keyboards

I'm getting sick of my old Macally usb keyboard, and looking around at
ways to connect my old type 5c (mini-din, unix style layout) Sun keyboard
to my Mac. Seems there are converters, but they're horribly expensive
(or you have to make them yourself, with parts that you may not be able
to find outside the UK ;) so I heard that the type 5 and type 6 are
identical, though a different color, and type 6 has USB support.

So, I'm wondering if anyone here has used a type 6, and can say whether
it is the same as the old type 5s? (I know it is ugly - but I'm in this
for the feel, not for looks)

Also, I'm wondering if anyone here knows if it is possible to use a
type 6 with Mac OS X via USB?

The best thing I've been able to find is here:

http://bedroomlan.dyndns.org/~alexios/hardware_suntype5.html

but again, it's for PCs, not Macs.

Steve,
pining for my squishy keyboard :)

Book publishing is second only to furniture delivery in slowness. -b. schneier