internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] standards compliant, tableless code on ESPN

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Shea Tisdale" <shea AT sheatisdale.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] standards compliant, tableless code on ESPN
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 17:42:15 -0400

If you look at the introduction of new technologies, history is fraught with
attempts to use it to do the same old thing during it's early life. The
original cameras were used to photograph people so that painters could make
better paintings. The original motion picture cameras were nailed down in
front of theater stages and the theatrical performance was filmed. Only
later did people expand upon the use of the technology to create new
industries, art forms and the like. So trying to use the web to be flyers,
magazines, and even TV is just natural for people. They don't see the full
potential and initially use it only as a new means to do something we
already do. And, in a way, that is why many new technologies are created -
including the web.

I don't disagree with displaying content, but I prefer to think it is about
information delivery.