internetworkers - [internetworkers] Surveillance, USA

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: machett AT ibiblio.org
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Surveillance, USA
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 14:56:24 -0400

yesterday Dave Matusiak and I were discussing a project I'm developing which
concerns surveillance in the modern era. Afterwards I went to the news stand
and saw MIT's Technology Review on the shelf; it's cover story was about, of
all things, surveillance technology. The article contained this interesting
tidbit:

"And as part of a new, federally mandated tracking system, the three major
U.S. automobile manufacturers plan to put special radio transponders known as
radio frequency identification tags in every tire sold in the nation. Far
exceeding congressional requirements, according to a leader of the Automotive
Industry Action Group, an industry think tank, the tags can be read on
vehicles going as fast as 160 kilometers per hour from a distance of 4.5
meters."

The whole article may be viewed at:
http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/farmer0403.asp
but you will need to create a free login first.

--Alan