internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Surveillance, USA

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "David R. Matusiak" <dave AT matusiak.org>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Surveillance, USA
  • Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 16:36:42 -0400

the first two rules of Project Mayhem are that you don't talk about Project Mayhem.

On Tuesday, April 8, 2003, at 02:56 PM, machett AT ibiblio.org wrote:

yesterday Xxxx Xxxxxxxx and I were discussing a project I'm developing which concerns surveillance in the modern era. Afterwards I went to the news stand and saw MIT's Technology Review on the shelf; it's cover story was about, of all things, surveillance technology. The article contained this interesting tidbit:

"And as part of a new, federally mandated tracking system, the three major U.S. automobile manufacturers plan to put special radio transponders known as radio frequency identification tags in every tire sold in the nation. Far exceeding congressional requirements, according to a leader of the Automotive Industry Action Group, an industry think tank, the tags can be read on vehicles going as fast as 160 kilometers per hour from a distance of 4.5 meters."

The whole article may be viewed at:
http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/farmer0403.asp
but you will need to create a free login first.

--Alan