internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] textile workers of the future?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: BigLee Haslup <biglee AT haslups.com>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] textile workers of the future?
  • Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2003 12:29:32 -0500

> But offshore development doesn't work you say? (Or at least isn't as good has everyone working in the same room.)
> This is demonstrably false, both with my experience working for companies with multiple locations, and from open source
> projects, in which no one works at the same location.

I am not sure I agree that the demonstrable success of open-source projects is that strong an argument for the feasibility of off-shore outsourcing. I think it is still the case that the architects, designers and developers are much more likely to succeed if they are in close proximity to their customers so that the inevitable assumptions made about customer requirements can be constantly tested as the project progresses. It just so happens that, for the successful open-source projects, both the developers and the customers live on the Internet.

It is not accidental that the most successful open-source tools are used primarily by developers. We, in the open-source community are rather inbred. As a community we develop swell tools we can use to develop software and we share them freely among ourselves -- apparently having finally realized that trying to make money selling software to other developers is silly. But, when we need cash to pay the mortgage or to upgrade our motherboards, we need to put on shoes, comb our hair and go meet with someone who has money to spend.

I think that a certain amount of the IT work that has gone overseas will stay there, but I think that, in four or five years a lot of it will be coming back for two reasons: companies will realize that the logistical and communication difficulties offset the salary differences; and the salary differences will narrow as countries with emerging high-tech industries develop their own internal demands for IT work. It's a bit like the impact of immigrant labor on the fast food industry -- they flip the burgers... but they eat them, too.

Lee Haslup