internetworkers - RE: [internetworkers] [Not a joke] AOL is suing me!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Gina Norman" <gina.norman AT nortelnetworks.com>
  • To: "'Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/'" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [internetworkers] [Not a joke] AOL is suing me!
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 11:02:45 -0500

Title: RE: [internetworkers] [Not a joke] AOL is suing me!

To me this looks like a case of AOL-MSN turf war, with Josep as the civilian casualty.  I don't think they'd have been upset if you'd been taking about instant messaging and how cool it was in general, I think where they're torqued is that you're referring to a competitors service (MSN Messenger Service) as Instant Messaging (which AOL has trademarked).

In other words, you're telling people how Scott Facial Tissues are the best Kleenex there is.  The main differences are:

1) "Kleenex" has officially fallen "into the public domain" *because* Kimberly Clarke _didn't_ go after people who were using "kleenex" generically!

2) "Kleenex" is (obviously and, I'd say, arguably) a more "unique" term than Instant Messenger and is/(was at one point) more defendable as "trademarked."

An important thing to remember is that from a legal perspective (correct me if I'm wrong Thomas), a requirement for successfully defending a trademark in court is that you have, in fact, pursued those who were using your trademarked term "incorrectly."  If AOL didn't do this, there'd be no way "Instant Messenger" could survive a trademark challenge.

FWIW, I do think it's ridiculous, and I agree with Dallas that the biggest problem is probably the way the capitalization and the grammar make it seem like you're using "Instant Messenger" as a stand-alone noun, rather than, using something like "instant messaging tool".

My $02, YMMV.

-Gina

Gina Norman
Senior Manager, Global Web Governance