internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] [Not a joke] AOL is suing me!

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Paul Jones <pjones AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: "Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/" <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] [Not a joke] AOL is suing me!
  • Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 11:23:04 -0500 (EST)

This is not about copyright but about trademark. Once a trademark is
awarded it must be defended vigorously or it could be lost. Kleenex and
Xerox have been mentioned in earlier posts as examples. MSN calls their
product "MSN Messenger" when last I looked (and more recently .NET
Messenger). To make AOL happy, you need only remove the word "Instant"
whereever it is used to describe a product that is not "AOL Instant
Messenger" This would avoid the product confusion that the seek to clear
up.
Do that and everyone is happy (except possibly you) as now you would be
accurately describing the MSN product and not confusing it with the AOL
one.
But if what I am reading at the link below from the PTO is up to date and
accurate, you need not do anything.