internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Favourite online music sites?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Thomas C. Meggs" <tom AT plik.net>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Favourite online music sites?
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 17:46:05 -0500

Yeah, it didn't quite happen like that at all.

The final rulling made internet radio for companies not FCC licensed prohibitively expensive. So you know, FCC licensing is also rather prohibitively expensive for a company with the interest of people in mind. However some of that is changing, anyway, another story all together.

Back to internet radio, more legislation was about to be passed to cut the costs for independant internet radio sites, but thanks to one of Jesse Helm's last acts before leaving the senate, it was nixed. In wonderful style, Helms said that the addendum should be back burnered because it wasn't good enough, that internet broadcasting should be even cheaper for independants. But wow, the legislation as far as I know hasn't been revisited, suprise surprise. I haven't read anything about it in a while, I assume things are about the same.

Regards,
Tom

David R. Matusiak wrote:
this makes me muy curioso as to the current state of wxyc.org and other college stations. i didn't really have the time to follow the trials and tribulations of the case, but it sounded like:

1. Courts "Hey, you internet radio stations -- give back our Intellectual Property!!"

2. Stations "Hey, up yours. We have the right to rock out!!"

3. RIAA to Courts "Crush them, DAMMNIT!!"

4. Stations "Hooray!! We got our freedom to broadcast!!"

and then the next day, all of the stations went offline.

was there more to this story? WTF is going on?

i found this:
< http://www.wxyc.org/about/first/sos.html >

but i have nothing nice to say to those dork-wads...