internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Favorite online music sites?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Jeni Grant <jeni.grant AT pobox.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Favorite online music sites?
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 12:28:13 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 22 Jan 2003, Michael Winslow Czeiszperger wrote:

: I'm interested in hearing about other types of music sites in terms of
: getting past the concept of a pre-programmed station. Craig D. and I
: have been talking about the concept of a user-configured radio station,
: where you pick a certain percentage of artists or tracks, and the
: system adds a configurable amount of stuff it thinks you would like,
: augmented by a specific amount of wildcards. As far as I know there's
: nothing out there like this.

Once upon a time, there was something very similar. Sonicnet (owned by
Viacom and almost completely dead now), used to offer a service that would
allow you to set up your own radio station, rate artists that you liked
and didn't like, strictly forbid certain artists, and choose favorite
genres. It would then play a mixture of rated artists and selected genres.
It was fantastic, which, of course, meant that the record companies had to
sue the pants off of Viacom. Something about the listener having too much
choice (the horror!).

These days, I usually listen to radioio.com or random shoutcast streams
when I want radio. It's not bad, but boy, do I miss radio.sonicnet.

-jeni-

--
"I don't really love computers, I just say that to get them into bed with
me." --Terry Pratchett

geekchyk.org // jeni.livejournal.com // photos.geekchyk.org