internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] More car shopping

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: zman <zman AT gibbon.kungfumonkey.com>
  • To: <internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] More car shopping
  • Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 19:06:06 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Thomas C. Meggs wrote:
> Actually, I've always been curious about that. I'm guessing rear wheel
> drive handles better on the road? But you always hear that front wheel
> drive handles a lot better on ice or through mud.

I think that's a case of the driver and weight distribution. Take an old
VW bug, they handle better than just about any 2-wheel drive vehicle I've
ever driven in the ice and snow.
Although I feel much more comfortable in a rear wheel drive vehicle due to
the fact that you can save it from going out of control. Front wheel drive
is pretty much gone once you lose control.
another theory is that if front wheel drive was all that, then race cars
would be front wheel drive. If you look at rally cars they set the rules
for all wheel, rear wheel, then front wheel.

--
Scott H. Zekanis
zman AT kungfumonkey.com