internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] More car shopping

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Thomas C. Meggs" <tom AT plik.net>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] More car shopping
  • Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 17:48:12 -0500

Steven Champeon wrote:
While I don't know much about the economics of front wheel drive, I will
say this - when I was an underemployed liberal arts graduate working off
my credit debt back in 1992-3, I worked for a German company called
Lemforder in Brewer, Maine. We used a French injection molding machine
to coat with plastic the shaft splines of sheering shaft components
assembled from Brazilian parts, using Venezualan light oil, plastic
universal joint seats from Spain, universal joints from Mexico, bearings
from the US, and so on, to build steering shaft components. Like this
one:

http://hesketh.com/schampeo/gifs/steering.gif

Down with gif, up with png. ;)

The components were sent on to a plant in Indianapolis, where they were
assembled into steering shafts that were packed in grease and sent to
either France, to be assembled by Belgian workers, or Belgium, to be
assembled by French workers. I forget. The shaft components we made went
into Ford Taurus, Mercury Topaz, and another Ford that was only sold in
the UK.

I remember being pretty impressed at how global everything was. So much
for "America's car", though.

Yeah, and for the brand of a car meaning that it was manufactured in its entirety by that company. Such as Mazda owned by Ford which sells pickups made by Nissan. Or the Ford Festiva which is made by Kia. Or the Chevrolet (previously Geo but still owned by Chevrolet) Prism which is made at the same factory as the Toyota Corolla.

Regards,
Tom