internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] still no power from CP&L....

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: childers.paula AT epamail.epa.gov
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] still no power from CP&L....
  • Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 12:48:54 -0500

The Solar Center is great! Has anyone visited the model house, or been
on the solar home tour? Also, Appalachian State has some good resources
through their solar club, and the Western NC Green Building Council has
a directory of service & supplies providers that does include a few that
are not just mountain-centric. Check out the "guerilla solar" concept.
It's open source electricity ;-) .

Here's a few links:
http://www.wncgbc.org/
http://www.appstate.edu/www_docs/student/clubs/solar/index.html
http://www.homepower.com/index.cfm
http://www.ncsustainableenergy.org/
http://www.millionsolarroofs.com/

And a story: My father-in-law had no power until late Monday, yet his
apartment (north Durham) stayed at around 65-68 degrees in the day and
mid-50's at night. How? marginally decent insulation, concrete slab
heatsink under the carpet, and huge south-facing windows. Imagine if the
builders had actually tried to use solar principles, instead of just
"lucking" onto it. Anyone know how well the folks in Solterra fared?

john AT radiomind.com (John

Beimler) To:
internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
Sent by: cc:

internetworkers-admin@lists. Subject: Re:
[internetworkers] still no power from
ibiblio.org CP&L....

12/11/02 12:30 PM

Please respond to

internetworkers

quotation from childers.paula AT epamail.epa.gov
<childers.paula AT epamail.epa.gov> [on 021211 12:24]:

> SO, I've been thinking - how to TRULY prevent this sort of thing?
> Answer: SOLAR PV panels. Installed in an open area of your yard or
roof
> [..]
> Anyone want to investigate a quantity discount for Triangle area
> homeowners?

My father was thinking of this at one point, lots of good info at the
NCSU North Carolina Solar Center - http://www.ncsc.ncsu.edu/

Peace.

john
http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/