internetworkers - [internetworkers] Trent Lott, segregationist

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [internetworkers] Trent Lott, segregationist
  • Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 09:18:19 -0500

This is interesting. In a speech honoring Strom Thurmond on his retirement, Trent Lott lauded his segregationist run for the presidency in 1948.

"I want to say this about my state: When Strom Thurmond ran for president, we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had followed our lead, we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years, either."

I guess, in other words, that things would be much better now if we had kept those niggers down when we had the chance.

Or in Strom's words: "I want to tell you, ladies and gentleman, that there's not enough troops in the army to force the southern people to break down segregation and admit the Nigra race into our theaters, into our swimming pools, into our homes, and into our churches."

http://www.freelancestar.com/News/FLS/2002/122002/12092002/813467
http://www.oaklandtribune.com/Stories/0,1413,82%257E1865%257E1037426,00.html
http://slate.msn.com/?id=2075151

Pass it on, friends, pass it on. Let's take down Trent Lott.