internetworkers - Re: [internetworkers] Whisky bars inside the beltline?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: zzd <craigduncan AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [internetworkers] Whisky bars inside the beltline?
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 18:28:12 -0400

>> I guess I am cheap

Sounds like you have some Scottish genes!-)

>>but usually enjoy my Single Malt at home

Glass in hand and ass in the comfy leather chair at home, is my preferred
method for indulgence, but alas, this is a night on the town and I am
planning a "tasting" with my own research notes.

>>What do you consider the good stuff?

That depends on my mood, and I have many moods. My absolute favorite scotch
is from the Springbank distillery in Campbelltown on the west coast. Pretty
much any age, although the 30yr old goes beyond exception, starts off a
little sweet but rounds of with sea air and maybe, just maybe, a little
seaweed buried deep in the after taste along with a hint of peat and oak.

For my wifes twenty-sixth birthday, I bought her a 26yr old Ben Nevis from
the speyside region, sadly now mothballed. But what a powerhouse, full
strength (read undilluted), and, like the Springbank, only opens up it's
deepest secrets after the tension is broken by a little water and sipped
small and slow. We only open that once a year!

>> My personal favs are Lagavulin (aged 16 years) and the Balvenie Single
>> Barrel (aged 15 years).

As for Lagavuln, I place that in the "burn't stick" category along with all
other Islay malts (Bunnahabhain excepted). So called by my friend noting that
it tasted like sucking on a burned stick. Good if you like smoke, but not for
me.

The spice of the Balvennie 15 on the other hand, is a welcome nuance to be
savored on occasion. But as for everyday scotch, I drink Glenmorange 10 and
the 12 year finishes, mmmh, hmmm, hmmm!

I shan't go on, my taste buds are ringing and my wfe just got home on her
birthday,

Cheers, Craig