internetworkers - Re: Car shopping

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Scott Morris <scmorris AT ifndef.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Car shopping
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 16:07:48 -0500 (CDT)

> I must second this recommendation. Subarus have a long history of
> reliability, and there is something about a station wagon that can destroy a
> Porsche Boxter that just makes me smile.

indeed.
mine can currently hang mustangs and hang with vettes.
and the all wheel drive in the snow was wonderful.

> As for the VW, it has been my experience that they drive great and the
> engines will last forever but the little flaws will drive you insane. For
> instance a friend of mine has a new Beatle and when one of his headlights
> went out it cost him $120 to get it changed, because you have to remove the
> battery to get to that headlight. When you remove the battery it resets the
> car's computer, and the only people who can afford the equipment to
> reprogram the computer is the dealer. I lost all respect for VW engineers
> after that.

hmm,
my friend has a 2001 cabrio. i've changed her headlights before. it was
really quite easy to change out. "reprogram the computer"??
i reset my ECU (2002 WRX) all the time. all it takes to "reprogram" it is
to drive it for a little while. it'll relearn everything it needs.

--
Scott Morris
scmorris AT ifndef.com