internetworkers - Re: Car shopping

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Mark Andrews <mandrews AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Car shopping
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 16:38:06 -0400

I must second this recommendation. Subarus have a long history of
reliability, and there is something about a station wagon that can destroy a
Porsche Boxter that just makes me smile.

As for the VW, it has been my experience that they drive great and the
engines will last forever but the little flaws will drive you insane. For
instance a friend of mine has a new Beatle and when one of his headlights
went out it cost him $120 to get it changed, because you have to remove the
battery to get to that headlight. When you remove the battery it resets the
car's computer, and the only people who can afford the equipment to
reprogram the computer is the dealer. I lost all respect for VW engineers
after that.

-Mark