internetworkers - RE: How I got rid of one spammer

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Rachel Cox <rachel AT hesketh.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: How I got rid of one spammer
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 16:12:44 -0400

At 02:48 PM 5/16/2002 -0400, K. Jo Garner wrote:
>On Thu, 16 May 2002, Bill Geschwind wrote:
>->they don't provide me that information then I would not be able to talk
>->to them and just hang up. Then, if I do get that information from them,
>->I would ask them to tell me all about whatever it is they are peddling,
>
>Well, I'm sure this has been mentioned to you before, but these people are
>just doing their jobs. Most are underpaid, most are trying to support
>themselves/their families etc., and most use - big drum roll here - not
>their real names.

For once, K. Jo and I are in agreement. :) I always try to be polite
to telemarketers, because, as she points out, they're just doing their
jobs and trying to support themselves and their families. Making their
day more miserable than I expect it already is will do me no good, so
why not politely say "no thank you, and please remove me from your
call list," and let them get on to the next callee, who might -
believe it or not - buy? Giving them hell won't make telemarketers
stop calling you, it just lets you make some poor working sap's
day that much worse. A bad return on a lousy investment, in my
opinion.

My mom was at the grocery store with a friend of hers once, and the
checkout clerk was being surly and unpleasant. My mom, who'd been
having something of a trying day, started to give back in kind,
when her friend placed a hand on my mother's arm and said to the
clerk, "Has it been a hard day?" The clerk heaved a great sigh and
said, "yes!" and the three of them had a lovely mutual vent about
their crappy days and wound up laughing about it. Everyone felt
*better* when they left, because my mom's friend could let go
of her initial irritation rather than taking it out on the clerk,
regardless of whether the clerk "should" have let her bad day affect
her attitude towards the customers.

And really, telemarketers and grocery store clerks don't get paid
enough to have to put up with *my* bad mood. :)

Cheers!
-Rachel
Rachel Cox | Web Developer | 919.834.2552 x16 | hesketh.com/inc
Image is only the beginning. Knowledge is profitable.
http://www.hesketh.com/proof/white_papers/