internetworkers - telemarketers and annoying phone calls

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Wolfe, Joanna" <wolfe AT oup-usa.org>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: telemarketers and annoying phone calls
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 15:53:04 -0400

I've never worked as a telemarketer, but I know several folks who do here at
Oxford.

And yes, I get annoyed by these folks at night as the rest of you.
But I think that Kelly Jo is right.
These are people who have obligations and families and rent to pay.
Not all of them are out to annoy you on purpose - but boy doesn't it feel
like it.
When treated with civility, they tend to treat you nicely as well.

I generally tell them:
a) Thank you I have a security system (and they bite when provoked)
b) Thank you I am happy with my long distance carrier.
c) No thank you, I don't use credit cards
d) Thank you, but unless you can refinance me down to below 6% on a 10 year
mortgage, we have little to discuss.
e) Thank you, but I have designated charities that I donate to.

And then I hang up.

I have noticed recently that they will try to work in an 800 number for me to
call back if I have any questions, but since I'm hanging up the phone, I
don't pay attention.

I do have my pet peeves about some of these folks however:

The people calling on behalf of fire and police departments, preying on
people's fears - aren't you concerned about crime and safety in your
community? Don't you want your mother, child, sister safe? These folks are
the scum. Considering the small percentage that actually gets to the
designated charity, these folks ought to be ashamed.

The autodialers that connect to your phone then give dead air or clicking.
That's annoying.

Finally, the most annoying is that some company has figured out how to profit
from disabling autodialers.
They were advertising the product around Christmas time. Why should I have
to pay to keep our phone lines clear?

Regards,
Joanna