internetworkers - RE: How I got rid of one spammer

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "K. Jo Garner" <kelly AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: How I got rid of one spammer
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 14:48:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 16 May 2002, Bill Geschwind wrote:
->they don't provide me that information then I would not be able to talk
->to them and just hang up. Then, if I do get that information from them,
->I would ask them to tell me all about whatever it is they are peddling,

Well, I'm sure this has been mentioned to you before, but these people are
just doing their jobs. Most are underpaid, most are trying to support
themselves/their families etc., and most use - big drum roll here - not
their real names.

We rarely get junk phone calls at home, but when we do get one, we ask to
be placed on their no-call list, get the name of the business, and
politely thank them for doing so. Even with our phone number listed in the
phone book, I'd say we get maybe -- maybe -- 2 calls every few weeks. And
most of the time they come in as "Unidentified Name/Unidenified Number"
calls (yay caller ID) which we just don't answer.

Why are you answering the phone during dinner anyhow? I mean, I had a
friend who was wanking and he answered the phone whilst doing that, and it
was his pastor on the phone. Talk about a let down! Finish what you're
doing then open up the lines for incoming calls, or get voicemail/caller
ID/an answering machine. Sheesh.

Cheers
KJ

----