internetworkers - RE: better dead than parasitic

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Rebecca Board <becca AT cyberlily.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: better dead than parasitic
  • Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 18:26:51 -0500

> >However, if I'm going to be in a crash, it's obvious to me that I'd
> >rather be in the Explorer than in the Miata!

When I first got my license (in NC, and I've never once driven a tractor)
my parents decided the thing to do was buy a big heavy boat of an old and
inexpensive 72 Buick on the theory that I'd be safer if I got into a wreck.
The theory was tested, several times, though in all but the more minor
incidents they were ruled as not my fault. I drove that car into the
ground in college. (Gina, do you remember it? We called it Beauregard.)
When it expired, I bought myself a much smaller Ford Probe which I picked
for it's nice handling and lack of driver blind spots. I never once had
a wreck, though I was able to avoid several that I'm sure would have
been serious if I'd still been driving Beauregard. I know I'm not talking
about a size difference as great as a Miata versus an Avalanche, but I
still think there's a lot to be said for avoiding an accident over surviving
one. Size is not everything when it comes to safety!

Unfortunately I no longer have the Probe, and I rarely get to drive
the Ranger I replaced it with. With two kids, two carseats, and a stroller
as the lightest load I carry in the car, I expect an SUV or Minivan is in
my near future. Sniff. I do recall that while truck shopping I sat in
a F150, which is about the same thing as these big SUV's, only with a
truck bed instead of a roof. Folks, I found that it was so big I had to
lean over to reach the AC controls. Who needs a cell phone to distract
the driver when the vehicle ergonomics are already sufficient??? So while
I did buy a truck, we picked the smaller, and to my thinking safer than
the alternative, Ranger. And, yes, we really use it to haul all sorts
of stuff that I could never get into the Probe no matter how hard I
tried to treat it like a truck. They're making vehicles that convert
from SUV to truck, but what I really want is one that also coverts to a
little sports car on those rare occasions when I can leave the kids behind!

--Rebecca