internetworkers - RE: better dead than parasitic

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Mark Andrews <mandrews AT ibiblio.org>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: better dead than parasitic
  • Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 15:53:18 -0500 (EST)

Irregardless of what these statistics say, the best way to survive a crash
is to not get in one in the first place. A few summers a go I decided to
get motorcycle and beforehand I took a motorcycle safety course. Over half
the course was dedicated preventative driving. Most of the techniques
are simple things such as checking to see who is behind you before you put
on your brakes and making sure that you always have some where to go if
someone tries to cut you off. These are things that I should have been
taught in drivers ed but wasn't.

I think Josep mentioned earlier that it is far more difficult to get a
license Europe than it is here. If our government wants to improve driver
safety they should focus on teaching people how to drive better instead of
worrying about airbags, which in many cases have done more harm than good
(4 point seatbelts provide much more safety).

On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, dan charlson wrote:

> on 3/6/02 1:35 PM, Michael Czeiszperger wrote:
> >There's two interesting reports on vehicle safety as related to vehicle
> >weight at:
> >
> >http://www.hwysafety.org/safety_facts/compat.htm
>
> Those are interesting sets of numbers, thanks.
>

> >cars are safer overall than SUVs.
>
> Yeah, maybe according to their overall statistics, though I read
> something in that report that said something like for all crashes with
> other vehicles, the overall relative risk for people in cars is about
> 4-to-1. Looks like most of the SUV deaths come in single-vehicle
> rollovers (which probably has a lot to do with people not knowing how to
> deal with the higher center of gravity in those things).
>
> However, if I'm going to be in a crash, it's obvious to me that I'd
> rather be in the Explorer than in the Miata! (Actually, if I got to pick
> my personal "I'm gonna be in a crash" vehicle, it'd be a big heavy
> Benz... ;-)
>

> -- -
> dan charlson <charlson AT mindspring.com>
> http://www.danorama.com
> "Giving money and power to the government is like
> giving car keys and whisky to teenage boys."
> - P.J. O'Rourke

> You are currently subscribed to internetworkers as: mandrews AT ibiblio.org

|\/|/\

"When I burst in your face
I invade your personal space"

-MC Paul Barman