internetworkers - RE: basic computer documentation

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: basic computer documentation
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 15:08:19 -0400

It's funny -- my mom's been using computers since the sixties, from
mainframes to minis and TRS-80s on up through the C64 and IBM PC, but
she still seems to have trouble with the difference between disk space
and RAM. If one of her programs is acting weird, and she's running out
of disk space, she says she "is almost out of memory". If she doesn't
have enough RAM to start a program because she's running a whole bunch
of other programs, she deletes some files. It's frustrating, but she's
been using the damn things so long it's hard to tell her anything new.

I don't have any good advice for you, unfortunately, other than to do
your best to encourage a little curiousity in your students about the
inner workings of the computer. It's too bad Windows is so widespread,
or you'd be able to say things like "computers don't just do things
without a reason", or "don't worry, you can't hurt anything", or "it's
a tool and it is supposed to do what /you/ tell it to".