internetworkers - RE: basic computer documentation

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Marybeth Lackey <mlackey AT raleighcvb.org>
  • To: 'InterNetWorkers' <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: basic computer documentation
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 14:37:13 -0400

I've had to explain to our President/CEO how to attach a file to an email.
He knew how to click on the little paper clip, but he didn't know he could
click on the file directory and go to another place on his computer (i.e.,
if the file he wanted to attach wasn't in that first directory, he didn't
know you could attach it).

I think the concept of "trying things USUALLY doesn't make the computer blow
up" is a good thing to teach too. So many people are truly scared to click
on something, in fear that it will mess the computer up.

We used to get calls from people who were typing our web address in the
search box of a search engine (not in the address portion) and they were
angry about getting a list of results instead of a web site. I doubt there
are many people out there that still would make this mistake, but you never
know!
---
Mary Beth Lackey
Internet Manager
Greater Raleigh Convention and Visitors Bureau
http://www.raleighcvb.org