internetworkers - Re: Nerdistan?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "K. Jo Garner" <kelly AT metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Nerdistan?
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2001 09:49:22 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 8 Jan 2001, Thomas Beckett wrote:
->is fun if only to partake of this clueless idiot sh*tting on us on the
->basis of nearly no information whatsoever.
->
->http://www.newsobserver.com/monday/business/Story/271073p-253597c.html

Ah, see the guy's focusing on the wrong groups. He's focusing on nerds;
there are no real "nerds" here. Only geeks! Geeks as far as the eye can
see! There is some nerd/geek crossover, however:

Nerd - pocket protector
Geek - too many pockets in baggy pants to have one
Nerd- "tends to get married and have kids"
Geek - tend to roast babies on a spit (or at least make fun of them)
Nerd - likes order
Geek - tolerates clutter, disarray (esp. on/around computer surface)
(cf. Paul Jones, Jon Magid, myself in varying degrees)
Nerd - wants big new modern house
Geek - RFL (renter for life)
Nerd - thinks Southern food is good
Geek - thinks Southern food is good
Nerd - thinks Joel Kotkin is a sock-eating moron
Geek - thinks Joel Kotkin is a sock-eating moron

When I go to New York, I think, "Take me to a New York restaurant. I want
an MTA Sandwich, I want a Bronx steak, I want Homeless Pie." But then
again I grew up in New York, so I know how great it is. ;) maybe that's
not what I want on my plate.

This guy should be reading triangle.dining and getting Tom Gauldin and
Camille Klein <?> and a lot of other folk to show him where to eat around
here.

And I especially love his answer to "What are Jews like?" Boy, no
stereotyping here. So I suppose his answer to "What are Southerners in the
RDU area like?" would be "Well, they're bland, like boiled leeks, but some
of them can sprinkle Tabasco sauce on themselves and become really
exciting."

I guess I get a little defensive when areas get slammed (esp. areas I live
or lived in) because if you *don't* actually *live* here, you have *no
idea*. I have heard the shoe shop complaint before, but christ what about
the Net and ordering online? I can get alligator meat *and* boudin shipped
directly to me, without making a 17 hour trip to Louisiana. The only
people who have a "right" to slam a place, IMNSHO, are people who were
born there and raised there or who have lived there longer than 6 months
(yes that is an arbitrary number).

More Kotkin info:
http://publicpolicy.pepperdine.edu/faculty/kotkin/kotkinbio.htm
and of course www.newgeography.com

Sheesh
Cheers
Kelly Jo
on only her first cup of coffee

----
"It was emotional carnage all over the place" - Joe Bowers
|| www.ibiblio.org/kelly || kelly \@/ unc.edu ||