internetworkers - Re: Nerdistan?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Simon Spero <ses AT unc.edu>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: kotkin AT worldnet.att.net
  • Subject: Re: Nerdistan?
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 23:41:20 -0500

--On Monday, January 08, 2001 10:46 PM -0500 Thomas Beckett <thomas AT tbeckett.com> wrote:

Carlene Hempel's got an interesting interview in Monday's N&O with this
guy Joel Kotkin who wrote a book called "The New Geography". The guy
visited here once or twice and decided that we were boring.

http://www.newsobserver.com/monday/business/Story/271073p-253597c.html

I thought the name looked vaguely familiar; Joel Kotkin is a researcher with the Reason Public Policy Institute, which is miltant wing of the Reason Foundation. He may have made the mistake of going out to lunch with the staffers from the Locke foundation, who don't get paid enough to go to the nice lobbyist restaurants.

In the interview cited, he makes no mention of Chapel-Hill at all; being middle-aged, he probably didn't go out clubbing much. Supper at Il Palio, a show at the cradle, followed up with a night at Radiance or Legends would have given a completely different experience (though to be quite honest, I'd much rather escort Virginia Postrel on such a mission.:)

-----
Now available - The Freddy Hayek Kayak | "Pass me another elf
Paddle Your Own Canoe! Be Rowed To Surfdom! | Sergeant- this one's
From The Taco Institute for Dyslexic Libertarians | split"