internetworkers - Re: Nerdistan?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "saundrakaerubel.com" <saundrakae AT saundrakaerubel.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Nerdistan?
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 08:48:05 -0500

Hi

Ok far it be it from me to NOT chime in here.
It is truly classless to bash an area and it's inhabitants for any reason. Sure, in a recent conversation with Steve Steele, I told him I could not find a decent pair of shoes here, but overall I am finding the RTP area to be an acceptable place to live. Linda Watson told me of one good shoe store. Only one? I could have sobbed right there and then.

Given I was raised in the San Francisco area, all I knew was the abundance of everything including 10 decent shoe shops within a one mile radius. But like the abundance of fine shoes shops, you also find the abundance of everything else, some of which was just too overwhelming. So maybe the lack of shoes is indicative of not having as much variety, is that in itself a bad thing? The midway direct flight to SV is only 206.00 dollars round trip, and I can go home as many times as I wish, if I miss some of which I came to love about my home. (Some of you are probably now saying, go home already and give me back the internetworker mailing list with less posts :-)

Silicon valley has been called cut throat, however that is not the Silicon Valley I lived in. And the RTP area I live is welcoming. Last time I looked, it was the nerds that were getting all the fame, creating the start-ups, becoming entrepreneurs and taking chances.

So maybe being a nerd is not such a bad thing, better to me then being a BOBO in which some so called expert describes last year's version of paradise or the next new thing.

Saundra