internetworkers - Re: Nerdistan?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: jcuthrell AT ixl.com
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Nerdistan?
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 23:57:05 -0500

Well, I have been here since 1990 and compared to where I grew up this is
much more hopping. However, if you came from NYC, LA, Chicago, SF, Miami,
Boston, or the like... you probably feel kind of like you entered witness
protection [1]. This is still Mayberry in the minds of many.

However... the author is a native New Yorker living in LA [2] and coming
here for him must have seemed very very backwater and likely made visions of
Deliverance dance though his head.

For his trip I would have suggested breakfast at a Waffle House, Boss Man's
for lunch, a light dinner at Chargrill, then a jaunt to Local 506 and a late
night snack at Time Out. If anything he would write that his health,
hearing, and car mileage suffered [3] on the trip.

This place has tech and it has trees. I like it. I am not saying I want to
stay here forever but it is okay for now at least. :)

-Jay

[1] http://us.imdb.com/Quotes?0099685
"There's no action. I have to wait around like everyone else. Can't even get
decent food. Right after I got here I ordered some spaghetti with marinara
sauce and I got egg noodles and ketchup."

[2] http://www.rppi.org/kotkin.html
The sweater just speaks volumes, baby...

[3] That light rail system is getting put in any decade now...