internetworkers - Re: Nerdistan?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Joanna Wolfe (919)677-0977" <wolfe AT oup-usa.org>
  • To: Calvin Powers <powers AT attglobal.net>, InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Nerdistan?
  • Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 09:11:06 -0400 (EDT)

Actually, I wonder if this guy got out of the airport or
Cary? (okay, I admit I have my triangle prejudices)

If he bothered to look, there's culture, great restaraunts
(I've had co-workers from New York say that the restaraunts
here are better than some they frequent in NY, and the price
tag's better as well). No, it's not LA or SF or NY or DC or
even Seattle, but then again, we don't have some of their
problems either.

I like not having to worry about whether or not I've locked
my door or my car. I like that my day is not consumed with
fighting traffic and people for 2 hours before work and again
after work. I like that rush hour only lasts an hour here.
And I like the people.

Sure you can do lots of great things in NY, but I lived there
for nearly 20 years, and the only time we ever did those things
was when friends from out of town visited. And if you live
in LA or SF or NY or DC you can't afford to do anything because
your housing eats your paycheck - not to mention if you want
a car (you think our insurance rates are bad).

So fine, let Mr. Kotkin have his opinions - one less development
to be built, one less influx of people to the area.

If I want to experience NY, it's only 1.5 hour plane ride away.
Plus, I get to come home when I've had enough.

Regards,

Joanna

Joanna Wolfe
Technical Support Manager