internetworkers - Justifying a Web Presence

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Paul Cory <paulwcory AT yahoo.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Justifying a Web Presence
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 13:52:11 -0500

All,

I find myself presented with a problem at work: a push to turn the Wake
County Public School System's Website into a profit center.

The folks pushing this idea believe that there is pile of easily obtainable
money to be had in the form of banner ads and affiliate programs.

My question is: are they right? There has been mention here lately of banner
ad networks and affiliate programs either disbanding or cutting back
severely on their payouts.

What is the state of Web advertising today? Are the big banner ad networks
paying out a lot of money, or are the returns modest? Is selling ads into a
local market easy, or is the competition with other local media (TV, radio,
newspapers) fierce enough to keep the bottom line thin?

How would you suggest a public school system use its Web presence: to
directly generate money, or to enhance the value of its services, or to make
it easier and cheaper to communicate with customers and partners, or some
combination thereof?

Any feeling on whether, if you were buying Web advertising, you would buy it
on a public school system Website? What would be your reaction to finding
advertising on a public school system or other governmental Website?

Any suggestions as to where I could look for this type of info on the Web?

I am looking mostly for general information that I might be able to use as
background material for a report my department has to present to the Board
of Education (don't worry, I won't quote anybody or mention names without
permission). This is not a fishing expedition for corporate secrets or
anything like that.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Paul