internetworkers - Re: winzip

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Steven Champeon <schampeo AT hesketh.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: winzip
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 13:05:18 -0500

on Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 12:59:59PM -0500, David Demers wrote:
> anyone know how a pagemaker document could end up as a simpletext
> document after being compressed using winzip? my client is new to
> winzip, so i assume she made a mistake while compressing the file.
> i'm on a mac and don't use winzip, so i was hoping some of you pc
> folks might be able to help me out...

My guess is that it was transferred via ftp using ASCII mode instead
of binary. Windows machines don't have any conception of file types
other than by their extensions. It's only on the Mac that files have
types and creators.

--
tired of being an underappreciated functionary in a soulless machine?
hesketh.com is hiring: http://www.hesketh.com/careers/

  • winzip, David Demers, 01/08/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: winzip, Steven Champeon, 01/08/2001