internetworkers - Re: How long could this go on?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Thomas A. Beckett" <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: How long could this go on?
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 17:46:35 -0500

Oh my, Strom Thurmond is President Pro Tempore.
http://www.senate.gov/~thurmond/

Paula Paul wrote:
> Al Gore has the power to save the day.
> . . . .
> I hereby appeal to the Republican electors
> who will finalize the presidential choice on Dec. 18 to honor the will
> of the majority and cast their votes for me."

That's an interesting idea. But if I were Al Gore, I would be willing
to let Bush take the office right now. Likewise for George Bush. I
would not want to be President after this election.

The problem is that the Democrats are thinking tactically about the
election rather than strategically about the next 20 years in American
politics. The historical precedent shows that administrations elected
under this kind of circumstances become utter fiascos, and the loser
becomes President after the following election. The President has no
"mandate", no legitimacy in office and devotes most of his energy to
maintaining control. With such a closely divided Congress and such a
bitter election outcome, no real progress will occur for the next two
years at least. Whoever become President now will be a lame duck.

In particular, the Democrats cannot gain legitimacy in their
administration if they obtain it by lawsuits. The public will /hate/
them for it. They should insist on a proper recount and leave it there,
stay out of court. They should really leave the White House to Bush:
it's his to screw up for the next 4 years as a lame duck; Al can take
the high road and act statesmanlike as the leader of the loyal
opposition for the next 2 years.

But I've rambled on too long. Interesting times indeed.

TaB