internetworkers - Re: How long could this go on?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Paula Paul" <Paula AT PaulSoftware.com>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: How long could this go on?
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 17:02:04 -0500

If only something like this could happen.
(from Slate
http://slate.msn.com/code/ThisJustIn/ThisJustIn.asp?Show=11/9/2000&idMes
sage=6465)

Al Gore has the power to save the day. Imagine if, instead of pursuing
every legal option, Gore said the following once the initial recount
shows Florida still in Bush's corner. "There are challenges I could
still make to the outcome in Florida," Gore would say, "but I believe
that to pursue them would set in motion a series of partisan legal
fights that could ensnarl the country for months in ways deeply damaging
to our democracy. As the winner of the majority of the popular vote in
this election, however, it would be morally unthinkable, and sure to
deepen the next president's crisis of legitimacy, if I simply ceded the
election to Gov. Bush. Fortunately, our constitution offers a third way
that will resolve this matter by a date certain and which calls on the
deepest values of our nation. I hereby appeal to the Republican electors
who will finalize the presidential choice on Dec. 18 to honor the will
of the majority and cast their votes for me."

I would be happy if the electors in Florida simply voted to reflect the
people's wishes (isn't that what representatives are supposed to do?).
If there are 25 electors in Florida, and the population voted roughly
50/50, then the electors should vote accordingly (say, 13 for Bush and
12 for Gore).

Forget the lawsuits, and convince the representative electors to truly
represent the people...
Even taking this to a national level, since Gore won the popular vote,
if the state electors truly represented the people, Gore would win on
December 18.
Paula Paul Paula AT PaulSoftware.com
Paul Software, Inc. http://www.PaulSoftware.com
tel 919.460.4539 fax 650.373.3025