internetworkers - Re: How long could this go on?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "Thomas A. Beckett" <thomas AT tbeckett.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: How long could this go on?
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 15:17:37 -0500

This is interesting, because the Constitution originally called for
separate elections of President and Vice President. Presently, however,
if we can't choose a President, we can't choose a VP either. So if we
don't have a President by Inauguration Day this January, I guess the
Presidency would follow the succession law. Normally the Secretary of
State would succeed after the VP. However, Madeliene Albright is a
naturalized citizen, born outside of the U.S., and is not qualifed to
serve as President (attractive as that option may be).

Right now it's Hastert, but you can imagine the infighting -- both among
Republicans and between Republican and Democrat -- which would occur in
the narrowly divided House of Representatives. Whoa, Nelly!

TaB