internetworkers - Re: How long could this go on?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney <alchemist AT pobox.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: How long could this go on?
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 15:59:07 -0500 (EST)

At 3:45pm Today, "Thomas A. Beckett" typed :
> Hmmn. Is Strom the President Pro Tempore of the Senate?

At last check, yes. Since January 1995.

Also, According to www.senate.gov/learning/learn_faq.html :

2.Who is that presiding?

The Constitution designates the Vice President of
the United States as the President, or presiding
officer, of the Senate. Because of other demands on
their time, vice presidents generally preside only on
rare occasions when they might be needed to cast a
tie-breaking vote. The Senate elects a President
Pro Tempore -- usually the senior member of the
majority party -- to act in the vice president's
absence. The President Pro Tempore frequently
presides at the opening of a day's session and
prepares a list of senators from the majority party to
preside hourly, throughout the day, on a rotating
basis.

Now, if anyone is senior to Senator Thurmond, I'd like to know about it!

> Since the Congress is required to convene on January 3rd, the House
> would still have the opportunity to elect a speaker before Inauguration
> Day. After the requisite bloodletting. And if the House failed, I
> kinda doubt that Strom would get elected President Pro Tempore of the
> Senate. Now if the Senate is split 50-50, there's another cause for
> conniptions. Worse, think Trent Lott.

The Speaker still has to meet the same criteria to be president as anyone
else - 35 years old, Natural Born Citizen, etc, etc.

*findlaw quote removed*

OK, If I'm reading the legallise properly, this means that however
Florida says it goes is how it goes. The Federal Government has no say in
how it's resolved.

> God I love Findlaw.com

Yeah. Too bad it doesn't have a legalese -> english translator....

-- Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney --
-- http://www.darkcanvas.com/~alchemist --
"I am Bad. I am Evil. I am...MOJO JOJO!"