internetworkers - Re: Florida elections?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Simon Spero <ses AT unc.edu>
  • To: "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Florida elections?
  • Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 14:40:28 -0500

On Thursday, November 9, 2000, at 01:51 PM, Rachel Cox wrote:

>you're not going to see Bush appoint a Supreme Court to overturn Roe Vs.
>Wade either.

<x-tabstops>28L;56L;84L;112L;140L;168L;196L;224L;252L;280L;308L;336L;</x-tabstops>

<x-tabstops>28L;56L;84L;112L;140L;168L;196L;224L;252L;280L;308L;336L;
Take a look at the state of the Senate: it's going to be split 50-50, or 51-49. There's no way that George Bush could get a litmus-tested anti-abortion judge through the confirmation process, since the Democratic caucus would have no choice but to filibuster (if they don't then the party is doomed).

What I am pretty sure is going to happen is that if Bush is elected, his first nomination to the Court will be litmus-tested anti-choice; the nomination will be blocked by the Democratic contingent and withdrawn as soon as possible. Bush has to make the gesture to the religious-right part of his base, but he will not want it to succeed, because it would make it impossible for him to get re-elected, and would probably give the house to the Democrats at the next mid-term election.

Don't bet your retirement on it.

I just looked to see if I could, but I couldn't really come up with a strategy. I could buy some shares in Aventis (the company that bought the company that invented RU486), but they are nothing to do with the US distribution, and the US distributor is not public. What I think I'll do is send $100 to NARAL (possibly Planned Parenthood) if Bush does win, just to make sure.

Simon

Archive powered by MHonArc 2.6.24.