internetworkers - Re: Florida elections?

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: mdthomas AT mindspring.com
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Florida elections?
  • Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 11:19:08 -0500

>Nice graphs! The overall problem with the
>count is if the margin is very, very small
>it means people are going to be looking
>for things that normally would have been
>overlooked in a normal election.

My question: how would the constitution have been
written if the founding fathers could have
forseen the Internet -- or just the telegraph
for that matter... These advances in communications
technology have each revolutionized how the
financial markets worked. When the constitution was
being written, the last major innovation in
communications technology was the printing press...
(History buffs, am I wrong here?? I can't think
of anything else in the centuries leading up to
the founding of the nation.)

I've noticed that it's very hard for people to think
in purely strategic terms -- tactics invariably
play in to even the most high level planning. I see
the meeting of the electoral college as being purely
tactical. It's just a mechanism that was needed in
the horse-and-buggy days. Most people know who their
congressmen are, but who knows who their representatives
in the electoral colleges are? I don't think I've ever
even seen a picture of any of them! I don't think the
press even covers their meetings!

Aren't these people just middlemen/women? Isn't that
one of the great benefits of the Internet -- that
middlemen can be eliminated? ("Connecting buyers and
sellers in a fragmented marketplace" and all that jazz?)

And on that note, why are we only voting for referendums
once a year? We have the technology to do national
referendum voting once an hour if we want to... international,
for that matter...

Michael Thomas, CEO, www.fixtheelections.com