internetworkers - Re: FW: proper statistical analysis of FL election data

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: Ron Thigpen <rthigpen AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: InterNetWorkers <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: FW: proper statistical analysis of FL election data
  • Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2000 14:53:12 -0500

Well, that Palm Beach data point is the textbook definition of an outlier.
It really jumps
out at you when charted like that. To extend this analysis a bit (probably
too far), let's
do a little math.

I'll make the assumption that the numbers from the other counties are
somewhat predictive
of the Palm Beach result. Using these numbers we can get to an estimate of
the expected
Buchanan totals and compare that to the actual. A big discrepancy indicates
that something
might be amiss. I'm breaking all sorts of statistical guidelines here, but a
rough look
could be fun.

The frequency distribution peaks between 0.004 and 0.005. Let's call it
0.0045.
We'll assume that this indicates the most likely ration in Palm Beach as
well, ignoring
local differences.
The actual ratio was .02229 of the 156,253 votes.
Using my 0.0045 number implies that we expect Buchanan to get only 703 votes.
His tallies read 3,407.
A difference of 2,704 votes.
Even if only a fraction of these were in error, it could have been enough to
swing the
state based on the differential between the Bush and Gore tallies in the
ongoing recount.

It's a rough model, but you get the idea. What a day for democracy. Could
we maybe do a
little usability review of the ballot design next time around?

Regards,

Ron Thigpen

Steven Champeon wrote:

> Here's some great info from Jason Kottke WRT the real math behind the
> Palm Beach/Buchanan debacle.
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Jason Kottke <jason AT moreover.com> -----
>
> From: "Jason Kottke" <jason AT moreover.com>
> To: <schampeo AT hesketh.com>, ...
> Subject: proper statistical analysis of FL election data
> Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 10:24:39 -0800
>
> Found this on Slashdot today:
>
> http://web.mit.edu/norstadt/Public/election.pdf
>
> It's a proper analysis involving standard deviations of the FL election
> data. It's a very strong mathematical argument that a discrepancy exists in
> the Palm Beach data. This analysis is much more accurate look at the data
> than something like this:
>
> http://tropics.eastwindgraphics.com/uploaded/newwinter/bv.gif
>
> -jason

  • Re: FW: proper statistical analysis of FL election data, Ron Thigpen, 11/09/2000