internetworkers - re: Hole in the web

internetworkers AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Internetworkers: http://www.ibiblio.org/internetworkers/

  • From: "S S Tempest" <sstempest AT mailcity.com>
  • To: internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu, "InterNetWorkers" <internetworkers AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: re: Hole in the web
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 17:59:10 -0400

Thanks, Uzoma, for bringing up some good points. Here are some more thoughts:

Whether or not you like Courtney Love, I think the speech does help
illustrate how technology is changing the music industry. I am not a
musician, but, as I understand it, in the past, you pretty much had to go
with a label in order to get your stuff distributed on a big scale (with the
exception of a few bands like Fugazi, which became known for that stance
because it was so exceptional). I'm not sure, though, that every musician
wants to take on the business responsibility of at least hiring good people
to distribute and promote the stuff. Maybe Aimee Mann and Hole and Prince
want to do that; maybe other musicians would rather have a label do it. But
the thing is, if musicians always have the _option_ to go and distribute
their music themselves, it puts a certain amount of pressure on the
established music industry to treat them fairly, which was the point of the
speech, I think.

As for how stealing copyrighted material helps: Suppose a friend loans me a
CD and I make a cassette copy. Technically, this is illegal, I think. I
decide I love the music, but I get tired of the crummy sound quality on the
tape, and I go and buy the CD, and later a concert ticket. If you are the
musician, are you going to be upset that I initially stole your copyrighted
material? I think a lot of people do this sort of thing with Napster. And
musicians are coming down on both sides of the debate.

Snow

Send FREE Greetings for Father's Day--or any day!
Click here: http://www.whowhere.lycos.com/redirects/fathers_day.rdct