homestead - Re: [Homestead] DSL, Satelite, High speed ( was Liberalism, atheism linked to IQ)

  • From: Gil White <gil.white AT xplornet.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] DSL, Satelite, High speed ( was Liberalism, atheism linked to IQ)
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 14:32:00 +0000 (GMT)

I wouldn't be too worried - in DSL terms 4 miles may as well be 400 if the
cable is being fed in from the other side. Also this way you'll get to enjoy
faster connect times for at least a year. You might even find yourself
downloading music and videos to while away next winter.

Up here in Canada there was a Government program administered by our large
Telco's to improve internet access in most of the rural areas. This is not
being done by extending DSL. Instead they're putting up cell towers to
improve the speed and reach of the wireless networks. Which I found out after
I had signed a 2 year extension with my satelite provider.

Turns out that even though there are supposedly wireless networks available
in our area, I can't pick up any of them anyway and I'm high up.

If I turn my cell phone on inside the house, I'm lucky to see a single bar.
Though I suspect that's more to do with the grounded steel roof on the front
part of the house. In the drive way I usually see 3 bars. Though I did
discover it's a long distance call from my garage to the house. I left my
keys inside one morning and called my wife to let me in.  ( The garage is
about 15' away).

Gil